The East Kimberley Volatile Substance Use Working Group (EKVSUWG) was established in 2008 to:
- achieve a reduction in the incidence of petrol sniffing and other volatile substance use (VSU) in the region
- ensure appropriate and timely coordinated responses to incidents of petrol and other volatile substance use in the Region
- support and increase the capacity of communities to respond to and manage incidents of petrol sniffing and other volatile substance use.
The EKVSUWG is comprised of representatives from Australian, State and local government and non-government organisations. It is chaired by the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet (DPMC) and meets quarterly. For more information, please see the Contacts section below.
The EKVSUWG is implementing a number of initiatives as set out in the East Kimberley Volatile Substance Use Strategic Plan including:
- a VSU incident reporting and response system
- distribution of information resources to retailers, industry & contractors and tourists
- a media strategy to encourage the responsible reporting of VSU issues
- supporting the engagement of users into recreational/cultural activities, schooling and/or employment and training opportunities
- support for communities wishing to develop local VSU management plans
- education and training for stakeholders
VSU incident reporting and response
The Volatile Substance Use Incident Reporting and Response system is currently in place in the Kimberley region. The Central Coordinating Agency is the Kimberley Community Alcohol and Drug Service (KCADS).
For more information, see the VSU incident report and response page of this website. If you require hard copies of the information booklet, protocols poster or the Kimberley VSU Incident Report Form, please contact the KCADS (see Contact details below).
Kimberley Community Alcohol and Drug Service (KCADS) - WA Country Health Service
Ph: (08) 9166 4350